In true American fashion, we often associate higher prices with being ‘better’ – and cheap things, well, they must be subpar! But when it comes to a box of Jiffy cornbread, this just isn’t true. As a cornbread fanatic, I am always amazed how a 60 cent box of Jiffy ‘corn muffin mix’ comes through every time. When taking a browse through luxurious cornbread mixes (you know, the ones that cost $2.39), I found that the ingredients are nearly the same. So, save that extra buck or two to spend on ingredients that can elevate your cornbread experience, which is what this whole article is about!
If you don’t have a box of Jiffy on hand, any cornbread/muffin mix will do! Be mindful of the size of your mix, I will be suggesting ingredient add-ins based on an 8.5 oz. box of Jiffy which yields ~6 muffins or a skillet of cornbread.
A spoonful of sugar + 1 egg + milk
Remember how Mary Poppins advised that a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down? Well, it also will elevate your Jiffy mix. A standard box asks for 1 egg and ⅓ cup of milk, but one heaping spoonful of sugar will add an extra sweetness to your batch. Non-Jiffy brands may already have an extra dose of sugar, but I promise another spoonful isn’t going to be the end of the world.
A little something extra
A classic cornbread muffin with a slab of butter on top is really all you need to sop up some juices from chili, jerk chicken or baked beans etc. – but if you have some peppers on deck or a can of corn, it’s fun to experiment! I made two boxes of Jiffy mix and made four different batches. The list doesn’t end here, though. If it sounds good to you, try it!
for a little heat 🌶️
- 1 large or 2 medium peppers diced
- Still Midwest nice with just an extra kick
for a lot 🌶️🌶️🌶️
- 1 pepper diced
- Small, but mighty; habaneros are spicy! Know your spice tolerance, before adding them to the whole mix
- ⅓ – ½ a can of corn
- You can always mix in more, so start with a smaller corn ratio! Corn lovers will like the added texture
if you’re craving Red Lobster biscuits
- ½ cup of shredded cheese
- I used cheddar! Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top of the muffins to get a nice cheese crust on top. I also wish I would have added chives!
Honey + Butter glaze
for added sweetness
- Ratio to follow is 2 room temp. butter : 1 honey + a pinch of salt (if you’re using unsalted butter)
- Determine how much butter you’d like, then follow with ½ as much honey and a pinch of salt. Swirl these ingredients together for butter that will blow your mind
- It may seem counterintuitive to add salt to a sweet butter glaze, but this extra salt will make the flavor pop!
My favorites were the habanero and the corn, both with heavy slabs of honey butter, of course! Now go get inspiration from Anna’s chili article and pair it with a side of Jiffy muffins – you really can’t go wrong, promise. Enjoy ♡